Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.




Monday, December 13, 2010

My Culinary Adventures: Pineapple Fried Rice (Minus the Shrimp!)

I think I've outdone myself!  After I made this dish I was so giddily happy that it was difficult for me to go to sleep.  The rice tastes amazing (in my opinion) and the ginger and cilantro really give it that oomph.  I can't wait to cook it for other people.

The other day I was craving fried rice, and I had bought snow peas from the grocery store the other week and needed to use them up!  Some were already going bad.  I wanted to try a new recipe because I knew how to make basic fried rice with Chinese sausage, and I liked to eat that with the Sriracha hot sauce.  Seeing as how I don't have either of those with me here (I'm hoping my family will send me the Sriracha in a package!), I wanted something different that I could do with what I could get here.  I was also reading the other day about 100 ways to cook an egg (thank you Gestre) and one style caught my eye, so I decided to incorporate that into the fried rice recipe.

Egg, semi-tamagoyaki style
Recipe
Adapted from caper berry

Ingredients
Depends on the amount of fried rice
2 eggs
1/2 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
Oil for the pan

  1. Beat all ingredients together but not too foamy.
  2. Heat a small non-stick pan over low heat.
  3. Dab paper towel into oil and wipe the bottom of the pan.
  4. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of egg mixture into the pan and spread it around in a circle.
  5. Cook until the bottom of the egg is dry and the top is still somewhat runny.
  6. Lift and roll the egg with fork or chopsticks to one side of the pan.
  7. Wipe the pan again with the oily paper towel.
  8. Pour the same amount of egg mixture into the pan and spread around, lifting the rolled egg to make sure the new egg mix gets under.
  9. Cook until it's ready to roll, and roll it to the other side of the pan.
  10. Repeat until mixture is finished.
  11. You may increase the heat when completed to slightly brown the egg on its sides.
  12. Let cool, then slice.

Majority of the ingredients set out


Recipe
I don't have exact amounts for you because I really just used my best judgment and winged it.  Sorry!

Ingredients
Broccoli, broken into florets and stem pieces
Carrots, chopped
Snow peas, can break them into half or thirds depending on the length, making sure to snap the ends off and discard them too

Vegetable oil
Garlic, minced
Onions, diced
2 cups day-old rice (or 2 or 3 days old)
Less-sodium soy sauce
Sugar
Salt
Butter (optional - to give it that restaurant-style look and taste)
Pineapple chunks
Ginger root, minced
Egg, tamagoyaki style
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
  1. Boil 1-inch of water in a pot, then add the broccoli, carrots, and snow peas and cover pot with lid.  Lower heat to medium and steam vegetables only for a couple minutes.  You don't want them too tender because they will cook more with the rice.
  2. In a big skillet or wok, heat 2 tbs oil on medium-high heat. 
  3. Add the garlic and onions and continuously stir until onions are translucent. 
  4. Mix in the broccoli, carrots and snow peas.
  5. Stir in the rice until it is warmed up. 
  6. Pour in the soy sauce, sugar, and salt and continuously stir the entire time so that nothing burns.
  7. Toss with butter if it looks too dry. 
  8. Add pineapple, ginger, egg and cilantro and stir until finished and everything is warm. 
  9. Garnish with cilantro! 
  10. (The burnt rice off the pan is good too ^_^)
Things I may do different next time:  Add some teriyaki sauce to see how that affects the flavor, and also use fresh pineapple instead of the frozen chunks I had from one I cut up a while ago..

No comments:

Post a Comment