Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.




Monday, December 13, 2010

My Culinary Adventures: The Beginning



I had always thought I loved cooking and baking, and swore to myself that as soon as I got my own place and my own kitchen, I would be doing those things a lot more.  Nobody really believed me and said that if I loved it that much, I’d be doing it no matter what.  Doesn’t matter if the kitchen is cluttered with other people’s stuff, doesn’t matter if other people are living there, I’d find a way and I’d be comfortable.  But I wasn’t, so I waited.  The Peace Corps has given me my very first opportunity of living completely alone, and I have definitely been making great use of the kitchen.  Buying kitchen appliances is always my priority when I go shopping, and I will even travel nearly 2 hours out of site to buy the ingredients I need.

Here are just a few simple things that I’ve made, with more blog posts to follow about other food (which I promise are more interesting and they all have recipes as well!).

It is really a pain to deal with fruits and vegetables here because we have to rinse with a Chlorox and water solution for at least 20 or 30 minutes according to our health manual, but I kind of completely skip that and just do it for a few minutes.  I still haven't gotten sick.  It does make cooking take a bit longer than it should though because I scrub and clean very well with that solution, then rinse with drinking water. Also, since I have limited space and limited kitchen appliances (2-burner portable stove and a toaster oven rather than a full-range stove/oven), it sometimes takes me a couple hours to cook something where it should really only take an hour or less.  Or maybe I'm just slow, who knows :)  I do get distracted easily....!
Smoothie made of broccoli and carrot juice (leftover from steaming veggies), apples, bananas, and water.  It was super delicious!

Banana, apple, orange, oatmeal, Corn Flakes (they put that stuff in smoothies here so I figured I'd give it a try), honey, milk, water and ice


Fruit salad: watermelon, canteloupe, apple, oranges, pineapple, and bananas


Rambutan, most often confused for lychee.  They are completely different.  Lychee are not hairy on the outside.
Burnt omelette! Haha. Tomatoes, onions, green onions, salt and pepper

Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment