Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.




Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Culinary Adventures: My Favorite Fried Rice

Honduras has several restaurants and street food vendors that specialize in fried rice.  They've got fried rice with chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, or plain and always give generous portions of food that could feed as many as 5 people out of one styrofoam box.  It tastes pretty good and it's decently priced (about $5 a box) but I grew up in an Asian household where my grandmother and other relatives on my mom's side (my dad is White) would cook fried rice often and have come to prefer their style over any other.  That is of course, not including the fried rice I made while here.  That is in a class of its own ;).  Kidding!  It was good but my family's is just downright simple, fast, and my preference.  Imagine how insanely happy I was to receive Chinese sausage and Sriracha hot sauce in the mail from them!  That same day I got down to it and made the rice I had been craving for 7 months.  Yum!


Recipe

Ingredients
Vegetable Oil
Onions, diced
Chinese sausage, sliced
Eggs
Peas
Few days old rice
Soy Sauce
Salt
Green onions, cut
Sriracha hot sauce

  1. In a heated frying pan, add a little bit of oil, and cook the onions until translucent.
  2. Add the sliced Chinese sausage and cook on medium-low heat until color turns darker.  No need to add more oil as the fat/oil from the sausage will seep out into the pan.
  3. Whisk eggs in a bowl then add to pan and scramble
  4. Dump in the rice and cook on medium-high heat, stirring constantly
  5. Pour soy sauce for coloring
  6. Add salt to taste
  7. Sprinkle the green onions on last
  8. Once everything is cooked and the fried rice is served, pour on the Sriracha!  
That is magical sauce :)  It's great on everything, from pizza, to meatballs, pasta, etc....

No comments:

Post a Comment