Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.




Saturday, December 8, 2012

Donate to Javier's Bakery!


NO FURTHER DONATIONS ARE NEEDED, THANK YOU TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO CONTRIBUTED! We reached our goal in less than 3 days thanks to your generous help! All updates will be posted on this blog :)

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I received a desperate message from one of my host dads in Honduras from when I served in the Peace Corps.

Now just some background info:  He and his family are some of THE most humble, selfless, kindest people I have ever met in my life.  With two little mouths to feed, they also took me in as one of their own and treated me as one of their other daughters, patiently helping with my Spanish and adjustment to the Honduran lifestyle for 5 entire weeks.   They had so little yet gave so much and never once asked for anything in return.

My host dad, Javier, was a baker and showed me his little bakery behind the house with a traditional clay oven and all his tools of the trade.  He would create these delicious butter cookies, perfect for dipping into your morning or afternoon coffee.  Whenever there was an opportunity to sell his product, he would take the crowded “chicken bus” (standing room only) an hour or so to the nearest city.  My host mom Pati worked in a hospital, but is now out of the job since she recently gave birth to a third child. 

Resources are scarce, and Javier contacted me with a desperate plea for help.  He needs $200 as start-up capital to get his bakery running again.  I realize that just the money won’t be enough and he will need to be trained on how to better manage his bakery so that it doesn’t go under again.  To resolve this issue, one of my best friends who is still in Honduras has offered to train him in business and financial management so he can be successful.

What I am hoping to accomplish with this page is a contribution of just $1 from 200 people.  Once we reach our goal, the money will be sent to Javier, and I will make a note of every single person who donated and send it down to Honduras and try to do a little special something with everyone’s names.

To donate, please click the button below:



Thank you to everyone who makes a contribution!  :)



We have raised $301 total!!  I spoke with Javier and am sending the money to him, which he should receive by the end of next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment