Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.




Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Culinary Adventures: Sweet Potato Fries

I normally don't eat sweet potato or like sweet potato dishes, but yesterday one of my English students came by the house to work on some homework and he gave me a bag full of sweet potatoes!  I took this as a chance to try and make something that would appeal to me.  Now, I love everything potato and will eat potatoes in any form possible.  French fries are great, but I also know that sweet potato fries are a healthier alternative.  I never really liked sweet potato fries in restaurants, but I figured if I have control over how I season them, maybe they'd turn into something appetizing.  The result?  They're addictive!!  Next up: Sweet Potato Pie :)



Sweet Potato Fries
*Note: I love garam masala, but I unfortunately don't have the spice, so I kind of just toss in the individual spices that it consists of. I forgot the cumin though, and added turmeric instead.  I also didn't use any salt or as some recipes suggest, sugar.
Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes
olive oil
ground cinnamon
ground cloves
ground cardamom
ground coriander
ground ginger
ground bayleaf
black pepper
turmeric
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Slice sweet potatoes into fry slices.
  3. In a bowl, toss slices with olive oil and spices until coated evenly.
  4. Spread evenly in a baking sheet, evenly spaced and bake for 30-40 minutes.  After the first 15 minutes, flip each fry over and put baking sheet back in oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment