Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.




Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Culinary Adventures: Asian Crunchy Broccoli Salad

I never really used to eat Asian food in the states often.  If it came down to choose between an Asian restaurant and some other option, most likely I'd choose the other option.  I think it may have been because I was living with my relatives and they cooked Asian food almost all the time and I wanted some variety.  I do enjoy certain cuisines though, such as Thai, Indian, Vietnamese (mostly just phở), and some Chinese, but not all the time.  Moving to Honduras, however, has made me realize how much I miss all things Asian, and any sort of Asian thing or Asian person I come across here just reminds me of life back in California with my family and friends, and I think that is probably why I get overly excited whenever I come across them.  Like really excited.  It's embarrassing sometimes.  My family very thoughtfully mailed me a couple boxes containing a lot of Asian food items to cook with, such as Hoisin sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes.  I decided to put a few of those items to good use :)



Asian Crunchy Broccoli Salad
Recipe adapted from Tiny Urban Kitchen

Ingredients
1 head broccoli
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
Soy sauce (to taste)
Sesame oil (to taste)
Pinch of sugar (to taste)
Red pepper flakes (to taste)

  1. Remove the outer part of the broccoli skin and chop into bite-size pieces.
  2. Add garlic and sprinkle with salt. Stir and let marinate for at least 20 minutes. Pour out any water that may have collected during the marination time.  
  3. Add a splash of soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Eat immediately, or for better results, let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment